I am a working mama to two little girls. On top of my 40 hours a week, I have been in school for about a year now, to finish up my Bachelor's degree. My husband is also taking classes too!!!
Yes, that's right... 2 full time jobs. 2 full time parents and 2 full time adult students!!!
I always intended to finish up my degree before I had kids. Clearly, life did not work out that way. I am blessed to work for a company that offers 100% tuition free education for both my husband and I, one of the perks of working for a higher education institution!! When searching for jobs, this was my main goal. I didn't want the debt that everyone else had and I was determined to finsih our degrees.
I think we have set the tone about education for our children. Bella often sits down with her work book and says "I'm doing homework like you mommy!" She takes pride in it and I'm glad to example the importance of it!
Don't let my goals fool you, this situation isn't easy. In fact,
!!! I am burnt out and I can't stand the work, but I know that isn't an excuse to not finish, even though I have really contemplated quitting. Many people ask "how do you guys do it?". My only response is "you do what you gotta do!"
1. It's going to be hard, very hard and you need to keep the end result in mind every time you want to quit. If you can face this fact, you can do it!
2. Evenings are prime time for school work. The hubby and I take turns and rotate on putting the girls to bed and school work. There is rarely an evening that one of us is not doing school work.
3. There is still time for family!!!! My husband and I take our kids on a family bike ride 3 days out of the week. In addition, we make sure we are spending quality time with our girls on movie nights and park days. I think my kids get to go to the park more than most... which is a great opportunity to study!
4. Weekends are not as relaxing as they used to be. No, they are filled with the juggling of getting piled up laundry done, grocery shopping, school assignments, maybe a family activity and house cleaning. Gone are the days that I can sit back on the couch and watch my shows... oh how I miss my shows.
5. You have time, you just have to find it. We have more time than we think... I don't care how busy you think you are, my daughter has gymnastics activities... we still fit in the occasionally family bike ride. I try and fit some school work in on my lunches and the little time here and there. Don't kid your self... you will fill up every moment, but think of the outcome?
6.Think of the grand scheme of things. You are doing this for a greater purpose, so those moments where you have had enough... you need to stay motivated! Maybe you need to cut back on classes but don't give up... the second you stop taking classes you will never go back!
7. Online options are the way to go. Despite the bad rap they have gotten, there are several options that can help you achieve your educational goals. Do your research and make sure they have the accreditation. Know what your looking for in a school too! Mandatory log in times? On site testing? I've done mine completely online and there is never a specific time I have to be online. I write my school schedule and I could have never done it any other way!